Re: What Muffler

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What Muffler
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:29:51 -0700
RBHouston@aol.com wrote:

Hey Mike,

> I stopped by the Harley dealer here in El Paso the other day thinking
> one of those mufflers might work on the Midget.  Whoooooo, expensive!

Here in California Harleys have catalytic converters in the mufflers
because of CARB regulations.  As they say, where California goes, so
goes the rest of the nation.  All Harleys will have catalytic converters
in the mufflers in 2006.  I removed the factory mufflers that were
strangling the engine and replaced them with aftermarket fishtail
mufflers with baffles.  Well, kinda has baffles.  You can see straight
through them.  Now it sounds like a Harley.  I put a lot of money in the
engine also.  I can be at 100 mph by the end of the on ramp for the
freeway.  The aftermarket mufflers (you have to buy two) cost about
$375.  I got a deal on mine at a Harley dealer because one of the
mounting tabs was welded a little out of place.  I paid $250 for them
"As Is" and went home and reamed out the mounting tab with a Dremel and
it fit perfectly.  The Harley factory "Screaming Eagle" mufflers you are
probably talking about are VERY expensive.  Anything with the Harley
Davidson name is VERY expensive.  That's why the initials of Harley
Davidson is HD, it stands for "hundred dollars".  You can't get out of
the dealer for less if you buy anything!
BTW - Rumor has it ALL Harley Davidson motorcycles will be water cooled
in 2006.  Just heard it, but not confirmed.  Only way to pass smog, as
all 2006 and newer Harleys in California will have to be smog tested on
the dyno.  Air cooled would never pass

--
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite