Re: engine swap

To: "Dick Byrne" <lindalnhvt@nhvt.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine swap
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:08:00 -0700
From "Dick Byrne" <lindalnhvt at nhvt.net>
To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 7:06 PM
Subject: engine swap

> Listers,
> I have a 66 Sprite with a 1098 that has bad noises. I'm swapping in a 1275
> from a running parts car. Today I removed both engines. Now I have some
> questions.
>
> 1098 is positive ground with generator. 1275 is neg ground with
> alternator. I'm planning on putting generator starter and coil from 1098
> to 1275 because the wiring will work that way. Is this OK?  Any other
> related electrical things?

You can hook up the alternator in the early car easily.  Much better than
the gennie.  Simple to change the polarity.

> The 1098 exhaust from manifold to pipe isn't the same as the 1275 exhaust
> manifold/pipe. Do I need to get a new exhaust pipe, etc.?

Trade manifolds if you want, but the 1275 manifold has a better hook up to
the exhaust pipe.

> Oil filter on 1098 is element type and has a spade connector for a wire.
> What's the wire and where does it go on the 1275 since there is no spade
> on the spin-on oil filter base?

Ignore that hook up if you want.  By the time the warning light comes on.
it's sorta too late anyway.  It's circulating essentially unfiltered oil by
then.  Not good!!

> Cooling system-- 1098 radiator was good, 1275 was bad. Can I change
> gooseneck and use radiator hoses from 1098 on the 1275 and hook up to 1098
> radiator?

Change thermo housings and use your existing downflow.  Less hoses, too!

> There are a few other bracket & plug swaps, but I think I have them
> figured out.

Oh please, tell us what you figured out!

> I'm also going to swap the known ribcase from the 1098 to the unknown 1275
> ribcase with clutch.

Throw out bearings are generally related to engines.  Use the 1275 TO
bearing with the 1275.  Make sure the slave push rod is right before
sticking the assembly in the car.  Easier to bleed a slave than pull an
engine!!!

> Anything else I need to do?

Lay in a supply of money.  It comes in handy with swap jobs!

> Replies and assistance will be very much appreciated, as usual. I'm
> learning a lot more about these cars as I go, but I'm definitely a novice.

We all were at one time and some of us still are!  You're in good company!
We'll share your woes and cheer your triumphs.  No, no, not the car!

Best, Paul A