Portland ABFM & BLMs

To: <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, "Spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Portland ABFM & BLMs
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:55:32 -0700
That would be the Portland, Oregon, All British Field Meet. It's held every
Labor Day weekend at Portland International Raceway and includes a Saturday
car show, a Sunday swap meet, and a lot of vintage racing. It's usually a good
time and this years' iteration was no exception. I'm pretty sure that a good
time was had by all. Especially today, at the swap meet. Especially by me.

You see, I had a couple of what Paul A and I would call "Bill Loeb Moments"
("BLMs"). A BLM occurs when you go to a swap meet with a list of Spridget
parts you really need, easily find many of the items on that list, acquire the
items at a reasonable price, and then smile a lot. Obviously, I'm not as good
at BLMs as Bill Loeb is, but under his tutelage I was able to come close.

As far as I'm concerned, the major material score was finding an unused left
replacement floor panel, that was marked "Moss Europe" (whatever that means),
which I picked up for the princely sum of $40. I also picked up a pair of
decent-looking Spridget calipers for $16 and a complete BE windshield frame
(complete with broken glass) for $20. I'm not so sure I need the frame, but in
the off-chance I want to trim one down to go for the "Brooklands look", I'll
be set.

But the best part was being able to hang out with some really neat people.