intro, buying questions, 69 midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: intro, buying questions, 69 midget
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:28:44 -0500
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a few weeks, trying to learn before posting... I
have been an LBC sort of a guy off an on for a lot of my life. It started
when my cousin bought an old TR3 in the early 70's.. continued with my
ownership/driving of 63 Sprite, 73 spitfire, then a succession of pre-74
Datsun 240z. The 240z don't qualify as LBC's of course, but were very
practical daily drivers, easy and cheap to fix, were heavily Brit-inspired,
and the straight 6 with SU carbs was quite snappy (before the more prolific
ZX variants added a thousand pounds to the car).

The urge has been tapping me on the shoulder recently, in the form of an ad
in a local shopper paper. "69 Midget, 69k miles, new top, new paint, wire
wheels. Best Offer". I have been out of the LBC loop for years, but that is
enough to get anyone's attention! I called the guy, he seems a dolt with too
much money. "Yuh, I bought it and started having it fixed up a little for my
wife, because she wanted convertible. Now she decided she wants a Jeep, and
I just want to get rid of it."

He knows nothing about what's under the hood, but could verify that it is
the three-wiper (USA wiping-per-square-inch import restrictions). I don't
know how long he has owned it, but he said it's been stored inside, and was
always dry under it (no leaks??) except on a recent drive "it started
leaking a little oil from the head gasket. I mean the valve cover. I don't
know. It stops when you turn the motor off". When asked what it needed, he
replied that the guy that painted it did not put the turn signals back on,
they're in the trunk. He says it has good tires.

He says he has $4k in the car, will take $2500. He has run a few ads, no
real response, he's ready to take it to auto auction. I hope to see the car
next Sunday 9/11 (oooh, bad day?). I often love to buy things from people
like this! They put money into something with no knowledge, then dump it
cheap when they find the next big toy....

My questions:
I have read several "Buying a Spridget" guides online. I know about the
traditional rust spots to look for (trunk, A-Pillar, bottom of doors). As
with any motor, greasy exhaust usually indicates an oil-burner, etc, etc.

1. What do you see previous owners screwing up the most?
2. What Lucas equipment changes to watch for, either good or bad?
3. I've never had wire wheels, I understand the importance of proper truing
and torquing. Is there any "in the field" quick inspections?

Any suggestions are welcome...