Re: Rolled the Midget last night..

To: <stevenm@optonline.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rolled the Midget last night..
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:40:30 -0700
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
A few pics of the midget:

http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/crash.html

They're big, but I just dumped them straight from the camera.

Looks like both fencers are dented, both wing windows are toast, and the
windshield is just hanging on by the stress rod. There's some denting on
the cowl near the winshield post holes. Other than that, the doors look
fine and still open and close decently. (Chuck, the rear panel was
untouched!) The electrics all still seem to work. I went to start it,
and the starter turns, but I get one "Rrrr", and then the engine doesn't
want to move. I suspect that one of the cylinders may have some fluid in
it (oil or coolant or something), but I'm not sure. Todays task is clean
up and putting a pait of rostyles on it so I can roll it back into the
yard.

As for what I was thinking as things were happening, I basically said
"Oh Shit" and tried to make sure I didn't hit a tree. I don't know if it
was because of my efforts or not, but I missed the trees. The landing
went quick for me. Our heads were touching the ground, but we didn't
hit. I didn't even think to duck. It was just dark, and I was hanging
upside down by the seat belt, and had a bit of trouble getting my leg
out from behind the steering wheel. It took several minutes to find the
door handle because upside-down was a bit disorienting. Once we crawled
out, it was shocking to think we had been under there. That, and I saw a
few future maintenance items (front diff seal is leaking, and the
drivers side outer sill has some rust perforation on the underside)!

Thanks for all the good wishes. We feel very lucky.  I'll keep everyone
posted on when we'll be fixing the car. :)

-=Chris