Re: Ignition Wiring Problem

To: Chas Douglass <cdouglas@oz.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Wiring Problem
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:04:28 -0800
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hello Chas,

       a couple of thoughts here....
       1) i used to have a pertronix.. loved it, BUT
          did you make sure that coil you are using is a 3 ohm coil as
          reccomended by pertronix? i made sure that i had the
          matching pertronix coil... its GOTTA be 3 ohm! or more.

       2) eventually (after a couple of years) the wires INSIDE my
         dizzy to the pertronix (integral with) wore their insultion
         through, and stranded me (Hagerty road assistance came to my
         rescue... still.... ...   :-(    ).... make absolutely sure
         that the wires CANNOT rub the rotor even under full
         advance!!! i can't stress this enough. use a tie wrap if you
         have to but make sure...

         3) i have been assured by those more knowledgeable that
         eventually  pertronix units fail... they have excellent
         warranty service, and stand behind their products... but that
         doesn't make you any less stranded.

         4).. this summer i changed over to a CRANE XR 700.. .. while
         NOT a simple install, (a real pain in the ass, i thought) i
         did eventually get it set up correctly? .. with the pertronix
         in my 1098 and a datsun 5 speed, i could only pull 4200->4300
         rpm in high.. .. with the crane i had it up to 4500 and still
         climbing (in excess of 80 mph) ... and have been assured,
         again by those more knowledgeable that a crane unit is good
         for over 250,000 miles..... we'll see... ... SO

         5) i picked up (ebay) a spare dizzy, and set it up with
         points already gapped and condensor, etc, so that if/when my
         electronic unit fails, i won't be stranded.. HATE THAT!... i
         can now change the dizzy and be running again in 5 minutes or
         less.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:pythias@pacifier.com