Re: GM going down, no LBC

To: KrkLH@cs.com
Subject: Re: GM going down, no LBC
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:05:45 -0600
Cc: type79@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
We've got a 2004 Vette, last of the C5's.  Personally, I think (hope?)
the gold chain image died with the C4.  The C5 is an amazing car, even
after an eight year run.  Yes, we've had our issues.  A rattle in the
dash that would set your teeth on edge and a broken fuel tank.  Both
quickly fixed under warranty, though.  Otherwise it is has been
trouble-free and extremely entertaining transportation for 20k miles so
far.  Pushrods don't seem to matter.  It has as much horsepower and
torque as it sits as performance cars that cost twice as much and more.
The handling will put any of those cars to shame, as well, unlike
previous Vettes.  The Corvette was my wife's choice, I was thinking 350Z.
 I'm glad it was her choice that made it into the garage.

Our second domestic(?) vehicle is a Dodge diesel pickup assembled in
Mexico now with 60k miles.  Frankly, these are the first American
vehicles I've ever purchased new.  My last American car was a used '69
Impala I owned in '76 and '77.  I also owned a used Ford Ranger before
the Dodge.

I'm quite pleased with both, much to my surprise.

A great read is "All Corvettes are Red."  A book about the development of
the C5, but, of greater interest, about the process of building and
bringing a car to market.  Sick companies do not make great cars.  Poor
cars make companies sick.  GM has had the flu for a long time.  You don't
go from 50% market share to 18% producing the best product around.

-David Littlefield