Re: Cherry Mk-IV Sprite

To: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cherry Mk-IV Sprite
From: Jay Fishbein <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:42:48 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Your point is well taken, but my comments are based on the fact that
there are cars available in similar condition for much less money.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct <http://home.ix.netcom.com/%7Etype79/>

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/

Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

>You know, it seems as if people (the people that own them) are always
>willing to devalue these cars that we collect. They also like to ride both
>sides of the "value" fence. They'd never agrees to sell their own car for
>less than they think it's worth, but take issue with people that want more
>than they think it's worth.
>
>Historical value? I'm not even sure I know where to apply that term. I
>suppose you could apply historical value to a car once raced by the Works.
>Or, maybe a car once owned by a celebrity. But, since "value" is really
>always relative, some car once owned by your Uncle Joe, that you inherited
>could have as much historical value to you. I have a 100-6 I've owned since
>'73... my high school car. Does that make it of more historical value to
>you? Nope. To me? Yep. Again, value is always relative.
>
>In an era of $30,000 economy cars, in my opinion, a $10,000 '69 Sprite ain't
>such a bad thing. I'm not sure wha the $30k econo box will be worth in 10 or
>30 years from now, but I'm willing to bet its "value" won't be going up.
>Especially when buying a documented low mileage car, you never pay too much,
>you just buy too soon.
>
>And, if some buyer would rather ante up now, and enjoy it, rather than buy a
>roach and bugger it up with a bad home restoration that doesn't see the
>light of day for 5 or 10 years, more power to him.
>
>I've got 2 Bugeyes I wouldn't sell for $25k each. Hell, I wouldn't sell them
>for double that. Does that make me a dick? I may be one, but not for that
>reason.
>
>I think I prefer the term "historical interest",or "historical significance"
>rather than historical value. Not only are low mileage originals rare, they
>have historical interest for those need a reference for restoration.

Your messages not reaching the list?
Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

===  Help keep Team.Net on the air
===     http://www.team.net/donate.html