RE: brakes

To: "'Bob'" <rcampion@usadatanet.net>,
Subject: RE: brakes
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:54:43 -0400
With apologies if I'm offering advice already given (I've been away from
the office/computer for a few days), but, you are wasting your time
trying to revive a system that should be completely rebuilt in the
interest of safety, and practicality.
The reason I say this is:
1.) It sounds like this car has been dormant for some time.
2.) Hydraulic systems need regular use, and maintenance to ensure proper
function and reliability.
3.) Unless you have reliable, first-hand information about ALL of the
components in your car's brake system, as well as equally good knowledge
of who performed the work, and when it was performed, you have no reason
to assume that the brakes on that car can ever be trusted.

So, my recommendation is to COMPLETELY overhaul/rebuild the brake AND
clutch hydraulic systems.  This should include rebuilding/replacing the
master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers (if fitted w/front discs),
and flex hoses.  In addition, all metal lines should be closely
inspected for corrosion, and chaffing damage, and replaced if in doubt.

There are many components of your Spridget where corners may be cut, and
money saved.  However, the hydraulic system is NOT one of them.

Look at it this way:  Driving season is almost upon you, in Upstate NY.
If you spend a little bit of time in making your Spridget's mechanical &
electrical systems right, you'll be rewarded with a reliable, FUN ride,
with no roadside dramas (or worse).  If you try to "cheap-out" on it,
you'll end up sounding like the rest of the fools who whine & complain &
recite those stupid Lucas & British car "jokes", thereby shouting out to
the rest of the informed, knowledgeable Brit car world that they are
fools.

So, Bob, you're at "the crossroads", now.  Which route will you follow?

Bud Osbourne.....now with over 40 years, and hundreds of thousands of
miles of fun, trouble-free Brit car miles behind me (and, hopefully, a
few more ahead of me).