Overheating reprise

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating reprise
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:59:48 -0700
Pulled the head on FROG AYE yesterday, after checking the compression 55lbs
on cyls 1&2, 150+ on 3&4.  When I had the compression tester in either #1 or
#2 and spun the engine, it made a distinct "chuffing" sound, as in "dead
chuffed."  Sure enough the head gasket was blown between 1&2.  The machine
shop had my head magnafluxed and surfaced by quittiing time yesterday.  If I
can source a head  gasket locally, I'll be back on the road before the
weekend is over!
No response to my earlier post about using a blanking sleeve in lieu of a
thermostat, so I guess I'll just drop in the 165 degree thermostat I have.

Upon closer inspection, the gasket was about to go between #3&4 cyls also.
Either it got much hotter than I thought, or?  Should have re-torqued the
head again after about 500 miles.  What is the collective wisdom with
respect to copper head gaskets?

Hal