Re: A Certain unfortunate irony

To: b-evans@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: A Certain unfortunate irony
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:51:01 -0500
Buster wrote:
<snip>

> The reason, of course, is that those roads,  especially those in small
> villages, began as footpaths.  Even those in some of the more historic
> cities began life as simply a thoroughfare for carts and carriages.
> Today, many roads are so narrow that when a car is spotted coming from
> the opposite direction, one will stop and give way to the other, with
> drivers usually exchanging a wave.  The width of the roads is just one
> of the reasons England is a nation of drivers I have found to be far
> more courteous than most drivers in America, especially those in
> Southern California where a wave may be of just one finger.

I dunno if I buy your theory, Buster. The roads making drivers more
courteous that is. The same goat and cart paths formed the roads in
France and Spain and I found drivers in those countries to be among
the worst I've ever seen anywhere!  When I was in the Air Force in
Europe I did some TDY assignments in Spain. The commanding officer
briefed me on arrival and told me the proper procedure to follow *when*
I had my accident. Not *if*, but *when*!!  They drive like lunatics in
Barcelona and Madrid! Its as much as your life is worth to get behind
the wheel!

Cheers!!
Jim