Gassy 74 Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Gassy 74 Midget
From: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:20:16 -0500
SO...if your recently acquired '74 Midget always smelled gassy....
...especially after driving....
...looked like the base of the intake hose (in the trunk) was holding
moisture/gas

What would you switch out/ look at first ?
Intake hose, emissions system, adsorption cannister filter, tank, fuel line
??

More clues...
There is no actual leaking or puddling visible anywhere....
The trunk does seem to stink the most....(leading me to think the original
rubber intake hose has degraded....
After really giving the car a good run for it's money..... I 'taste' and
smell carbon monox and gas fumes on my clothes....(that could be a whole
'nother issue though).....No joke. Was romantic the first fifty times now it
just makes me hack.

Thanks for any help.
I finally got the turn signals working. (Until I hit the hazards and then
they don't work till the next drive) { !! }
MilesSO...if your recently acquired '74 Midget always smelled gassy....
...especially after driving....
...looked like the base of the intake hose (in the trunk) was holding
moisture/gas
....Honestly , I wish I could enclose photos....I think the PO had over
three generations of emissions componets operating(?) under the
hood.....yeesh. What to pull...what to keep ?

What would you switch out/ look at first ?
Intake hose, emissions system, adsorption cannister filter, tank, fuel line
??

More clues...
There is no actual leaking or puddling visible anywhere....
The trunk does seem to stink the most....(leading me to think the original
rubber intake hose has degraded....
After really giving the car a good run for it's money..... I 'taste' and
smell carbon monox and gas fumes on my clothes....(that could be a whole
'nother issue though).....No joke. Was romantic the first fifty times now it
just makes me hack.

Anybody knows where to find find fairly prices expansion tanks ? I guess I
better buy the firrings and pipes if I am trying to prevent vapor leakage...