Re: '74 Midget questions

To: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: '74 Midget questions
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 16:53:12 -0500
On 5/26/06, Dale Gleason <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Here are a few trivia questions that have ben vexing me as of late...
> If you know any of this stuff, I greatly appreciate your help.
>
> 1. Under my seats are these white plastic electrically wired discs (not
> working) that appear to be pressure sensitive triggered ---  WHAT are these?
> Have yet to see them in any manual...

Seat belt buzzer pressure switches??

> 2. Any suggestions as to how to steady a rattling/knocking exhaust pipe ?
> Knocks hard when hot behind the pedals and rattles durectly under the
> drivers seat.

Dunno. Mine does it too.

> 3. When ridden hot I can open the the vents in the floor boards (cook my
> ankles) stick my fingers in said vents and remove rusty black sludge. The
> hotter the wetter. This is creeping black death, isn't it?

Dunno but doesn't sound good...   Heater core leaking??

> 4.  Between the carbs and the crankcase, every so often I'l get a lound
> TANGING noise. Thought for the longest that it was a fan blade just grazing
> something every so often when vibrating wildly. No, such luck. AND it seems
> to be coming from the base of the carb bells / head gasket area.
>
> O.K. I could go on for some time with these but I'll cease pressing my luck
> and venture one more...

Dunno.

> 5. Just how much emissions gear (if no emssions testing is required) can I
> get by taking off. From the loos of things I got a few things from other
> models hooked up unnecessarily and my emissions cant get much worse.

On my 1275 I left the PCV valve and the breather canister. Everything
else went but it is a 68 so there wasn't a whole lot on there anyway.
The amount of emissions gear on the engine changed year by year in
accord with USA polution regulations so yours probably has a lot more
junk on it being 6 years later.

> OK. If you have any clues or help for any of these I really appreciate it.
> Have a good holiday and be safe out there on the road.

Same to you. Miles!

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City