Re: '74 Midget questions

To: "Dale Gleason" <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: '74 Midget questions
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:15:01 -0500
At 04:22 PM 5/26/2006, Dale Gleason wrote:

>Here are a few trivia questions that have ben vexing me as of late...
>If you know any of this stuff, I greatly appreciate your help.
>
>1. Under my seats are these white plastic electrically wired discs
>(not working) that appear to be pressure sensitive triggered
>---  WHAT are these? Have yet to see them in any manual...

already explained seatbelt interlock. If there's weight on the seat,
the belt better be buckled. And, if you put a case of beer, or
some-such, on the passenger seat, it too needs buckling.

>2. Any suggestions as to how to steady a rattling/knocking exhaust
>pipe ? Knocks hard when hot behind the pedals and rattles durectly
>under the drivers seat.

The pipe must be firmly attached to the engine with the clamping
flange, but also it MUST have the iron strap that bolts to the
bellhousing and clamps to the pipe. The connection to the body is at
the rear bulkhead hanger, and then farther back at the muffler
through the boot. For unknown reasons, that mounting strap at the
bellhousing is often missing. It keeps the pipe moving with the
engine saving the gasket on later cars, and the clamshell clamp on earlier.

>3. When ridden hot I can open the the vents in the floor boards
>(cook my ankles) stick my fingers in said vents and remove rusty
>black sludge. The hotter the wetter. This is creeping black death, isn't it?

no.... legionaires disease.

>4.  Between the carbs and the crankcase, every so often I'l get a
>lound TANGING noise. Thought for the longest that it was a fan blade
>just grazing something every so often when vibrating wildly. No,
>such luck. AND it seems to be coming from the base of the carb bells
>/ head gasket area.

Sometimes the heatshields will crack, and flex.

>O.K. I could go on for some time with these but I'll cease pressing
>my luck and venture one more...
>
>5. Just how much emissions gear (if no emssions testing is required)
>can I get by taking off. From the loos of things I got a few things
>from other models hooked up unnecessarily and my emissions cant get much worse.
>
>OK. If you have any clues or help for any of these I really appreciate it.
>Have a good holiday and be safe out there on the road.

Thanks. You too. Peter C.