Some Questions for the list gurus...

To: Midgetsprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Some Questions for the list gurus...
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:39:52 -0500
Howdy all...

Since I have been driving the Midget daily now for nearly 2 months I'm
beginning to pick up on a few things that have me curious. I'm hoping
some of you will excuse my lack of knowledge and fill me in on these
items:

1) What is normal oil pressure on a 1275?  Mine reads about 70lbs at
2,000 rpm and above but drops back to around 40 at idle.

2) How reliable are the actual values on the oil temperature gauge?

3) What is normal water temperature on a 1275? Mine reads about 170
degrees once the thermostat has opened and I am cruising along at
speed. Once I stop and let idle in 90 degree or warmer air temperature
(or in slow moving traffic), it begins to heat up, eventually making
it up over 190 degrees at which point the engine starts to get baulky.
I have a new radiator and thermostat and am running just water with
some water wetter in it.

4) What causes the baulkiness and eventual stalling above?  I have an
HIF44 on the 1275 which runs beautifully except when the engine heats
up. Could this be the lack of a heat sheild between the carb bottom
and the exhaust manifold??

5) If the heat problem above IS due to the lack of a heat sheild,
where can I find one for my HIF44 carb?

6) I got new tires for my wires and am just about ready to media blast
the wheels, repaint and install the new tires.  Therefore - a couple
of questions on that process...
    a) Where can I find rim straps and good quality tubes for my wires
other than Mo$$? Mo$$ wants more for a rim strap and tube than I paid
for the tires through TireRack.com!!

    b) Can anyone recommend a good rattle can paint treatment for the
wire wheels? After they are clean from media blasting, I'm thinking of
doing a base coat, color coat, and clear coat from rattle cans. Any
recommendations on colors or brands that look good and hold up well on
wires?

Many thanks in advance for the help!!

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City