Re: Pinion Seal

To: "Larry & Sandi Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>,
Subject: Re: Pinion Seal
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:47:00 -0700
Yes.  Do it all the time.

Getting the nut off without an impact wrench is sometimes hard.  Index the
nut with the pinion shaft with a center punch so you can duplicate the
original nut position.

With the nut off, the sleeve comes right out easily.  I then have a big
broken end screwdiver that I catch the seal inside edge with and pound on
the handle hard to lever out the seal.  Tap the new seal into place so it's
all even with the end of the housing then do the rest of the assembly.

You should be able to do all this with loosing only a few drops of
lubricant.

Paul A