Close call, 2 days in Hospital, I'm mostly OK

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>, <morris_motors@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Close call, 2 days in Hospital, I'm mostly OK
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:13:46 -0700
Hi,

Had a friends cat bite me last Thursday afternoon.  No biggie, had that happen
before.  Swelled up about nickel size that night, next day was quarter size.
Had coffee with a friend Friday morning, went to some suppliers after that.
Stopped at a 7-11 on the way home to buy a soda pop, and fainted twice in the
store.  Not good!  Paramedics find nothing wrong with me so they left.
Stopped at the Dr. I go to on the way home, suspecting it was related to the
bite swell.  Dragon lady at the reception window want to schedule me for the
following week.  I insisted on something right away.  So she made an
appointment for 2 hrs. later.  Went home to do some stuff and kill time and
then stuff started to happen.  My whole hand swelled twice it's normal size up
to my wrist. I could hardly move my fingers, had red lines running up my arm,
red spots appearing on my upper arm, so I went off to the doctor then.  He saw
me right off and was clearly agitated at what he saw.  Had me get a shot of
antibiotic right away, had my hand x-rayed, had a girl find me room in a
hospital nearby, called a hand surgeon to see me in the hospital gave me all
the info, and the x-rays and away I went.  Was almost greeted at the intake
window by name!  Got in my room pronto, had the blood draws right away and
then after that was done started me on massive doses of iv delivery
anti-biotic every 4 hours.  Next morning about 6:15 the hand surgeon saw me
and says, I'm really fortunate, this blood poisoning was caught in time, and
said little likelihood of surgery was needed.  Kept me there for 2 full day,
color changed dramatically the first day, swelling went down some, but still
pretty big and awkward tonight, but I can make a fist and open doors with my
right hand now!

So guys, If you ever have something close to this happen, don't ignore it and
get medical attention right away.  I did nearly that, and came close to
loosing major use of my right hand.

You know, I can take a car apart and put it together, but they'll give you
this stupid gown to wear that any automotive guy will be totally stumped on
getting it snapped up and into!!

I was totally impressed with the caring passerby's in the store who were so
generous and willing to help someone they didn't know and likely they'll never
see again.  There's a lot of nice folks who out there who'll come through
without being asked or care to be rewarded.  ''Twas nice.

So that's the reason I haven't answered anyone who was asking me questions.
Sorry, but I left my computer at home!!  Besides, I slept almost constantly
for 2 days!

All the best to you great folks out there in the ether land.

Later, Paul A