Re: Close call, 2 days in Hospital, I'm mostly OK

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Close call, 2 days in Hospital, I'm mostly OK
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:32:49 -0400
Paul,

I am glad to hear that you are OK, relatively speaking.

I wonder about the response of the the healthcare professionals.  My
sister-in-law was an IC nurse and an EMT nurse (and a bunch of other
types of nurse over the last two decades) and she always told us that
any fainting that results in a fall is reason enough to take the
patient to the emergency room immediately. In fact, she always told
family members that if you really want to be taken seriously at
Admittance, tell them that you fainted and fell. Unfortunately we had
to put this to the test a few years ago when my wife had a 'spell' of
something that we still haven't resolved. But, she sure got express
service at the ER as soon as she said that she'd fainted.

I would seriously consider finding a new family doc if the current
one employs a receptionist that tells a twice-in-5-minutes fainter
that he should come back in a week. At least have a little
come-to-Jesus talk with the doc about office policy. Unresolved
fainting is serious business and needs immediate attention.

Just my two cents based on limited experience. Again, I'm glad you're
doing better. Will you ever be able to play the violin, though?
Baddum-ching! ;)

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Associate Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu