Re: Tom Colby's New Race Car

To: jdc6@lehigh.edu
Subject: Re: Tom Colby's New Race Car
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:49:52 -0500
I share your pain.  Assuming it runs in vintage, it all depends on the
organization.  Every one is different.  For example, if that is a 1275
engine in the car it can run in CVAR with points penalties, it can run in
VARA, it can't run in SVRA, it can run in HSR.  It wouldn't be eligible
for some events, like the VIR Gold Cup, but would in others, maybe the
BRIC last year but maybe not this year (now run by SVRA).

Here is another beautiful bugeye for sale that is currently running in
vintage in VARA:
http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/austinhl/1140472713/1140472713ss.htm.
The 1380 engine with the roller rockers would (supposedly) immediately
disqualify it for running in CVAR.  The roller rockers would be OK in
SVRA, but not a 1380 in a bugeye.

No wonder you're confused.

Bottom line is to pick your venue before you build or buy your car.  If
you have a car that is REALLY period prepared to the 1967 SCCA GCR/PCS
you'll be able to take it anywhere.  If you have a car that is all about
running at the front with every trick in the book, be prepared to be
excluded from one venue or event or another.

--  David Littlefield
2 MG Midget racecars prepared to 1972 GCR/PCS