RE: rebuild/repair regulator, or just replace?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rebuild/repair regulator, or just replace?
From: "Tannen, Skip" <tannen@babson.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:08:00 -0400
Hi Dan,

If you're still looking for a recommendation, I recently had a great
experience with a small shop in New Hampshire when I was having
regulator problems.  They have been in business for years and are one of
the few automotive electrical shops that knows their stuff and actually
repairs things!  I was having charging problems and two regulators up to
them, and they found that one had a bad coil and the other had been
messed with so much that it was totally out of adjustment.  They were
able to adjust it so it was working again and I haven't had any charging
problems since.  I spent almost two hours there, got a regulator fixed
and a generator tested, learned a lot about how regulators work, handed
them a twenty and walked out a very satisfied customer.  They are nice
guys, are happy to have you hang over their shoulders while working on
stuff, and if you're not close to the shop you can ship them stuff for
repair or rebuild.  The shop is Chick's Starter Generator & Alternator
Service and their phone number is (603) 256-6949.

If you don't want to go the rebuild route, I've heard that the
reproduction Lucas regulators (made in India, I think) are a direct
replacement and work fine - I think they go for about $50.00.

Hope this helps.

Skip Tannen
'65 Austin Healey Sprite
'71 Triumph Bonneville