Re: tire availability

To: "Lester Ewing" <lewing@sport.rr.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tire availability
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:08:33 -0500
5.20X13 is correct if that's what you're striving for. I had found a site in
England that advertised Gold Seals in blackwall only, I never searched it out
because I needed whitewalls. SURE they came original with whitewalls, it was
an option, need the certificate if you're trying to be original to the car, I
think it was quite popular in the US market. I would have loved to find repro
Gold Seals, maybe Dunlop breaks their molds or just doesn't sell them to
places like Coker. I went with the Firestones too, got all 5 for around $500
delivered, WAY more than I wanted to spend but thought it was important enough
to do the first time around anyways, don't know if I'll go that route the next
time. That's about $97 a tire, that's a 2" whitewall which is correct. They
have an off-brand 1.25" whitewall for $72/ea:
http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=18511&cat=&page=1
That'd give you a roughly-original appearing tire. The Firestones would be
considerd "period correct", but not truly correct. BUT if you go with correct
tires they deduct concours points as the originals are 40 yrs old and not
safe. The old double-concours standard.
Dan