concrete for shop slab/some LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: concrete for shop slab/some LBC
From: "Charlie Shelden" <shelden3@pldi.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:25:07 -0500
Hello all,
been in lurk mode for the past year or so.  I'm about to pour concrete for a
slab for my new shop in my back yard.  It will be a 24x30 insulated metal
building.  I'm located in Oklahoma.  Several of my friends and I have been
helping one another build so it is around to my slab now.  Question for
those with experience or what not:

- I'm using 3500psi concrete with fiber mixed in.  I'm told by many that I
do not need to use rebar support under the slab.  My gut feeling is yes you
do or it can't hurt.  But many have said I'm just wasting money, any of you
guys do concrete work or such and have an opinion?    My pad is all ready to
go forms in place, thickened edge cut out, rebar in the thickened edge
installed.

- Shop will be mainly to hold my "man toys" as my wife calls them, things
like my 59 Bugeye that I got from David Oliner (now i'll be able to work on
it and get it out of my father in-laws shop), lawnmower, Honda Odyssey dune
buggy, work bench that kind of thing.  I'm putting in 4" thick concrete as
well.

Also, when I'm done any opinions on floor coatings?  I know there are
several brands of epoxy type coatings for concrete floors.

Thanks a bunch,
Charlie
OKC,OK