Re: 1500 Clutch hydraulics

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Clutch hydraulics
From: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 06:47:58 -0400
Karl,

Check the thrust washer. YOu can do that by using a large pry bar and
seeing how far the crank moves in and out at the front pulley. It
should not move more than .1mm ( or something, I don't have the
actual clearance number at hand). If it visibly moves, the thrust
washer is gone and you need an engine rebuild. This was the only clue
I had before disassembling my engine when installing a 5 speed a
couple years ago. The clutch would not release completely, sometimes.
I figured it just needed an adjustment until I took the pan off to
fix an oil leak and found the thrust washer in the pan and the block
and crank wrecked.

Certainly hope that is not the case here tho.

Larry

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've
never actually known what the question is." - Douglas Adams

believed to be clean.