Re: New Topic: Cars I would like to drive.

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Topic: Cars I would like to drive.
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:21:31 -0500
On 8/24/06, derf <derf247@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, what is so special about the car that makes it impossible to drive
> around a course without special training?

Can't speak for the Type 79, but I can talk with a tiny bit of
authority of the Lotus 49B. Back in the late 60s I took the drivers
course at Brands Hatch. My Instructor was Sir Graham Hill.

At the conclusion of the course we were "allowed" a couple of slow
laps of the old GP circuit in the 49B which had just been retired. You
have no idea how quick these cars are.

It takes skill with the accelerator just to keep the tires on the
track - and the brakes, if you apply them a tiny bit too hard, will
strain you through the 4 point belts and stuff your feet through the
aluminium firewall. Shifting is a real adventure for the novice as the
car will *LEAP* ahead when the clutch is dropped and the clutch is
lightning fast. If you are not expecting it, you will be be in the
scenery instantly.

Jay is absolutely correct that one needs special instruction and
gentle practice with even the older, tamer F-1 cars. The power to
weight ratio on these vehicles is ridiculous. Having experienced even
an old one, I find myself watching F-1 on TV today and literally have
to make myself stop holding my breath and breath. Those guys EARN
their bucks!!

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodg City