Re: hood and drums

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hood and drums
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:11:10 -0500
> The retaining set screw in a brake drum really is a redundant item.  In a
> brake designers' head many years ago was the thought that a drum may fall
> off when you remove the road wheel.  We all know it doesn't, in reality we
> all know that at times it is a real pain in the ass to remove both the
> screw and the drum.  However, the sole reason for it being there is to
> hold the drum in place when you remove the road wheel and it serves no
> other purpose. > When the wheel is on and torqued up it is doing nothing
> at all.

Yes, once the wheel is torqued down, they do nothing. However, remember
the tolerances we are dealing with here. Do you have any slop between your
lugs and the holes in your drum? I do. How do I get the drum to center
consistently? How about using a pair of countersunk screws? Works for me...
David Lieb