Exhaust Downpipe problem

To: "Midget Sprite Group" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Exhaust Downpipe problem
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:57:36 -0500
Gang,

A pesky problem with the downpipe/manifold connection on the exhaust
of my 68 Midget 1275.  I don't seem to be able to get the flange
tight. It leaks exhaust and the downpipe rattles against the manifold.
 Both times that I had the lump out, two of the three manifold studs
had the nuts rusted onto them so that I ended up unscrewing the studs
from the manifold. When I put everything back together I wasn't able
to get the flange tight against the manifold with the exhaust gasket
in place.  I'm thinking I may have things backwards. Does the exhaust
gasket go between the manifold and the downpipe, or is it supposed to
be put onto the downpipe from the other end and fit between the lip of
the downpipe and the flange??

I love the exhaust sound, but the rattling of the downpipe is making me crazy!

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City