Re: bright 6 volt bulbs

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bright 6 volt bulbs
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:47:33 -0600
> Great points Bud, I'm getting ready to start a rebuild if a '34 Plymouth
> and have been researching the possibility of converting to 12V.  I think a
> good restoration of the 6V electrical system would be best and while 12V
> does make a 6V bulb burn bright, you might find yourself changing them
> often.

Ahh, but that's where you are wrong, Dan. You would be surprised at how
long a 6-volt bulb will last in a 12-volt car. Plus, why in the world would
you
NOT replace it with a 12-volt bulb (yes, it will fit) the first time it
dies?
Yes, keeping it 6-volt makes it more original. Somewhere you have to make
the decision between having an original trailer queen and a functional
vehicle.
6-volt batteries available today tend to be second-rate at best and will
give you
constant reminders of why the automotive industry transitioned to the
12-volt
standard. Since you are unlikely to ever drive the car over 50 miles,
practicality
is irrelevant and retaining the 6-volt system is a viable option. If
concours points
are irrelevant and you do wish to be able to actually drive it to an
out-of-state
show, you might want to consider the 12-volt option.
David Lieb