Re: [Spridgets] Loss of Brake Pedal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Loss of Brake Pedal
From: Chris M West <chris_west@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 07:30:46 -0400
Mike wrote:

 Yesterday, I took it for an 80 mile trip in 90 to 95 degree weather
at sustained speeds of 60 to 70 mph.

The car performed fine the whole trip, but towards the very end I had
trouble with a gradually softening pedal for the brakes.  It was going
almost to the floor when I pulled up to the house.

The MC is new.  There's plenty of fluid in the reservoir.  And the brakes
are fine today. No issues whatsoever.
Mike,  I think the key clue is the high temperature both the air and in
the engine compartment.   How new is the brake fluid?  If the system was
not flushed when the master cylinder was replaced there is old fluid that
has been absorbing moisture from the atmosphere since it was opened.
The moisture will cause the boiling point of the fluid to be too low.  At
high temperature the water will boil and the steam created is
compressible, leading to a low and / or spongy pedal.  Once it cools, it
condenses and the system operates as normal.  Flush the system with NEW
fluid from previously unopened containers.

Chris

AN5L35578