Re: [Spridgets] was record resto, now Bondo tricks

To: "Michael Conn" <mconn2@bright.net>, "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] was record resto, now Bondo tricks
From: "Robert Bruce Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:19:49 -0700
Michael wrote:  "The stories about how to fill in holes in our spridgets
are really quite depressing, don't you think.   Surely it's much more
satisfying to do the job properly (i.e. buy replacement panels or
whatever)."

That is all fine and well if an owner 1) can afford the $200 for, say, a
door skin, 2) can find that the body panels are even available, 3) can
afford the equipment, 4) has the skills necessary for the work, or 5) has
the time and place for the work.  In 1961, my brother smashed the right
front end of my Bugeye, and as a poor sailor I had no alternative to Bondo
and match the paint as closely as possible.  That car provided me
incredible fun, pleasure, and transportation just like that for decades.
Only a year and a half ago did the work get done properly.

My Sprite has never been, nor will ever be a trailer queen concours car.
It has will and will forever be just what it was designed to deliver:  fun,
pleasure, and transportation.  It is the preservation of the marque that is
important!  I would much rather see Frank and Kevin do a quick restoration
than have a car go to the grinder.  We all know that those two are not
doing it for the money, but to keep them on the road.

Buster Evans