[Spridgets] First drive on new engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] First drive on new engine
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:55:59 EST
Hi list,

Managed to find time today for the first drive on the new engine.  The
objective was to put 100 miles on it at 3000 rpm.  I thought the roads  would
be
quiet but they turned out to be busier than expected.  There were  2 problems,
the first after about a mile was that a plug lead came loose which  was easily
fixed.  The second was another total ignition failure.  I  fixed it without
knowing what the problem was (jiggled lots of leads) but  suspect it's a bad
contact on the electronic ignition pickup.  I'm ordering  a new set of HT
leads
in the morning.

I made one stop for petrol - I don't know the price in gallons but it's  over
a #1 a Litre now.

The weather was close to freezing and my feet were numb when I got home
after just under 2 hours.  I managed 96 miles rather than a 100 but all at  a
steady 3000-3100 rpm which is about 60mph+ (3.9 diff and a 5 speed).  I'm
open to
suggestions on how to run-in the engine from this point forward.

The engine ran ok and seemed smooth enough.  All the guages read Ok  though
as expected it ran a little on the hot side for coolant to what I'd have
expected (I'll check the level tomorrow).  There were no fluid leaks of any
kind.
I realised half way home that I'd forgotten to connect the horn but  that's
connected now.

The worst part of the trip was catching up a gritting lorry which was in  the
middle lane (of 3) and showering the road with grit.  I undertook it,
following a lorry, and back at home later hoovered up what grit I could find
and
washed off the front spoiler (it's readily removable with Dzuz fasteners).

The engine revs freely enough and I suspect it wil come up on the cam a lot
harder than the old cam did despite being a very similar grind.  I think  the
reason for this will be the way the cam has been timed - the old cam was
timed slightly mild as the optimum position fell between dowels on the timing
wheel.

Another reason for revving so freely is that the reciprocating weight
(mostly on the flywheel and clutch) is 1.6Kg approx lighter and the crank is
wedged
rather than just balanced.  The engine and installation is a further  4-5Kg
lighter still as the engine now has an aluminium alloy Pierce head.

So, everything about as it should be for a new engine. Did I mention this
engine has a W E S L A K E cast aluminium alloy rocker from the original
pattern.

Daniel1312