Re: [Spridgets] Use your cell phone driving...

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridgets"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Use your cell phone driving...
From: "Robert Bruce Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:17:34 -0800
David Lieb wrote:  "Yet another case of dumbing things down for the shallow
end of the gene pool.  You know, some of us CAN drive competently while
using a cell phone.  Others cannot drive with the radio on. Start issuing
tickets for incompetent driving regardless of cellphone use."

And *who* decides what is or is not incompetent.  There was an already old
saying when I was a cop:  "There is no law against stupidity."

But, the fact remands that study after study has found a direct causal link
betwee cell phone usage and accidents.

 "According to NHTSA, at any given moment of the day, 500,000 drivers of
passenger vehicles are talking on handheld cell phones....the NHTSA has
determined that driver inattention is a primary or contributing factor in
as many as 25 percent of all police-reported traffic accidents."   "Car
accident statistics indicate 98 percent of reported accidents involve a
single distracted driver. Rubbernecking was the highest percentage of
single distractions, followed by driver fatigue, looking at scenery or
landmarks, passenger or child distractions, adjusting the radio or other
music form, and cell phone use."  That, I believe, describes stupid driving.

Personally, I would prefer that they be banned for MY protection, and the
protection of my family.

Buster