Re: [Spridgets] Opinions wanted

To: "'James Gruber'" <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, "'Spridgets Digest'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Opinions wanted
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:16:56 -0500
Jim,
Have you ever had the chassis checked for "true"?  If you plan to get
those door gaps corrected the right way, you will have to have some way
of checking and re-checking the chassis alignment, before you weld
everything back into place.  Otherwise, you could end up with a pretty
significantly "tweaked" chassis.
If you've got a good, LEVEL concrete floor in your garage, you can
probably come up with some sort of arrangement to measure and support
the chassis, while you line things up.  Of course, you'll want to do a
bunch of door gap measurements, and diagonal measurements between r/s
and l/s door openings.  Probably wouldn't hurt to measure the doors in a
bunch of places, too.
It's entirely possible that the door gap condition you've described
could be the result of a previous repair/replacement of the rear
fenders.  You see, when the rear fenders are cut free from the inner
fenders, for installation of a lower fender repair panel, the fender
tends to "straighten out"/loose it's bow, causing the door gap to
mysteriously shrink.  Don't ask me how I learned this ;)
Also, when you do repair work/re-skin of the door posts, there is a good
chance you can build in some real alignment/clearance problems for
yourself.  Be real careful, take your time, and think your way through
it.
BTW, I prefer sauerkraut and kielbasa, washed down with a really good
lager.  Them southern boys can keep their okra(?) and their Bud, Bud
Light/Miller, Miller Light;)
Bud Osbourne