Re: [Spridgets] Guest Speaker on Oil Formulations

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Guest Speaker on Oil Formulations
From: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:10:34 -0500
Ok, I called Castrol and Shell about this a few weeks ago. The Castrol for
Classic Cars is a full synthetic, so your rings will not seat on a newly
rebuilt engine. At this point, Castrol DOES NOT offer any oils compatible
for breaking in a new engine and bedding the cam. This was told to me by one
of their engineers (the numbers kind, not the train kind)
Shell recommends their Rotella diesel oil for breaking in a new motor and
cam. I don't recall the weight values off the top of my head, but I have two
gallon jugs on the counter in the garage at home, if anyone is interested.
The oil I have has 1300 ppm ZDDP, if that helps any.

Brad

OH, I put this same stuff in the tranny, just to be sure. Cuz it's rebuilt
too.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Timothy H. Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu> wrote:

> Well, this sounds like a good time! I'm with Howard - in need of oil.
> I've been looking at the local "auto parts" stores. I asked about the
> Castrol for Classic Cars, which they didn't have, and was told; "We
> sell/stock what we are sent." Not much help.  Larry, will you take
> "call in questions?" Good, here's mine - I asked this awhile back but
> am still wondering. Our gear boxes call for motor oil as the lube.
> Does it make any difference in a gear box longevity that the ZDDP has
> been removed from the oil?
>
> Coffee and doughnuts? Hmmm. I'll bet you guys have a coffee maker
> like the one that is the subject of the Dilbert cartoon for yesterday
> and today!  www.dilbert.com.
>
> At 10:06 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:
> >Charles Navarro, owner of LN Engineering and author of the study on
> recent oil
> >formulations, will be holding a tech session at our local Brit car club.
> >
> >The session will be at our clubhouse at 3531 Sand Pit Road, Oshkosh, WI
> on
> >Saturday April 12 from 10 AM to noon.
> >
> >If anybody from the area would like to come, RSVP by April 9th.  It's
> free and
> >coffee and doughnuts will be served.
> >

> Tim Collins
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/