Re: [Spridgets] Hard Brake Pedal

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Hard Brake Pedal
From: <corvallis@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 05:51:44 -0700
Do the whole brake system. Your wheel cylinders are 'frozen'; rusted to the
point the internal parts are not working. Try bleeding one corner. If it
bleeds, you may be able to use the master cylinder for a while. Do one wheel
at a time, keeping the other wheel on that axle for reference in case you
misplace something. The big boys just replace the whole wheel cylinder.
Parts are available ...and you might mess something up if you have not
rebuilt these before.
Reassemble and bleed that corner. Then on to the other side; then on to the
other axle. You'll probably have to replace the master cylinder somewhere in
here. Again, new parts are preferred over rebuilt. I have rebuilt several
hundred systems, and one time out of a hundred a working master cylinder
will go bad while I am doing only the wheel cylinders.
Inspect the brake linings and drums while you are at it. Maybe even the
front wheel bearings and wheel seals. Take your time. Use DOT 3 brake fluid,
not the silicon based DOT 5 which can cause the rubber seals to swell.
...bill in Oregon