Re: [Spridgets] OT- Beer

To: "Heard" <heard@datatrontech.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] OT- Beer
From: shelden3@pldi.net
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:52:02 -0500 (CDT)
Yes, I do.  I've been doing it for about 5 years now. I only brew about 3
batches a year.

DO:
Sterilize
did I say sterilize? Nothing like providing bacteria a nice place to grow,
with lots of yeast and sugar.

-start with all inclusive kits, even the Mr Beer kits aren't bad, to at
least see if you like it.
-find a local group, every decent size town/city has home brewers.  Check
the local brew pubs etc.
-Sterilize and don't cut corners.
-sample your brew through out the brewing process, this will give you an
idea as a brewer what your wort and such is doing. Plus you will begin to
acquire a taste for what is right and wrong.

Don't:
Drink Bud
give up if a batch goes south on you and it will happen
be afraid to ask questions.
be afraid to experiment

I'm fortunate that we have a home brew shop here in OKC, Chuck is a great
guy and loves beer and beer makers, plus he plays the bagpipes to boot in
his shop.  He sells over the internet as well, and will talk and walk you
through anything.

Jim Johnson and others on the list are also avid home brewers as well and
I'm sure they will chime in.

Charlie
OKC,OK
mead in the ferm.