Re: [Spridgets] OT- Beer

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] OT- Beer
From: "Rick Bastedo" <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:49:33 -0700
I have been brewing since about 1979.
I've made many batches of truly great beer, and some real bad swill.

I really like the stouts / porters so I tend to go that way when I buy
ingredients.
I have also made some fantastic Meads.
One I made with 12 lbs honey and 5 lbs strawberries.
I managed to save back some bottles for aging, at 11 years I discovered
them.
We had friends over, I opened up the bottles.
This stuff was nectar - it was ambrosia - it was by far the best thing I've
ever made.
It wasn't that good at 1 year old, or even 5 years old. 11 years old and it
had finally matured.

Right now I have a batch in the carboy that I probably should dump, but it's
difficult.
It had a starting gravity of over 1.1 and the last time I checked (5 weeks
ago) it was at 10%.
Trouble is it's gotten a bacteria and tastes a bit sour.
This is a very heavy stout, other than the sour flavor it's all good...

If I had a still I'd just pop it right in there, but they make you get a
license for those around here, even for home use!

So, like I said, I should dump it and start again.

Meanwhile I live a couple blocks from the Snoqualmie Falls Brewery and they
fill up my 5 gallon keg as long as I pay them. They have some really good
craft beers too.

Rick Bastedo