Re: [Spridgets] Sleeving master/brake cylinders - Stainless vs.

To: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Sleeving master/brake cylinders - Stainless vs.
From: Peter C <peter@nosimport.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:19:21 -0500
Dean,
         I'm not a metallurgist. I have sleeved a "few" things with
both stainless and brass. From a manufacturing standpoint, brass is
easier for several reasons.
         After boring the cylinder for the sleeve, the cylinder gets
heated for the sleeve to press in, and the differential is more
easily attained for brass than ss.
         After the sleeve is installed, the sleeves get honed.
Honing/resizing the brass is easier than ss on the equipment and the
finish can be done in just a few passes with a hone rather than
cutting tools as ss requires.
         Also, it is my experience that ss "work hardens" after a
period and develops undesirable hard spots.
         And.... stainless is still susceptible to oxidation, it just
does it differently.

         Peter C
======