Re: [Spridgets] Starter solenoids

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Starter solenoids
From: Lee Fox <lee.fox@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:26:32 -0500
Bud,

A solenoid from a 1980 Ford 6 cyl. pickup will work just fine.
Autozone part #F496. $9.99

Lee

Re: [Spridgets] Starter solenoids
From:
"Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:44:54 -0500
CC:
spridgets@autox.team.net

Bud,

Are you certain it is the solenoid?  Try putting 12V across the starter
first to see if it turns. My 68 did this just before LotO - nice load click
but no joy at the starter. It was the starter gone south due to my own
stupidity when over tightening the wire and breaking the strap inside loose.
Of course, if the starter turns then it is good and the problem is probably
the solenoid. Also, do a search of the archives. Not too long ago someone
mentioned a modern auto parts store solenoid which will work. I think it was
a Ford part.

Cheers!!
Jim