Re: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box

To: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box
From: "David Riker" <davriker@nwi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:55:00 -0700
My rebuilt Datsun tranny is also noisy in neutral, clutch out.  It was noisy
before the rebuild, we replaced all the bearings, and it was noisy after the
rebuild.

It also crunches a little going into second when cold.  I used NOS Datsun
syncros for the rebuild.  It crunched exactly the same before the rebuild.
We test fitted all the syncros, and put the one with the most bite on second
gear, and the one with the least bite on 5th.

The before and after were so unremarkably similar that I wouldn't have
believed it was rebuilt if I hadn't participated in the work.  Thing is we
did find things that needed attention, but fixing them didn't solve any of
the symptoms that led to the rebuild in the first place!

I will still take a little crunch and a fifth speed over the ribcase any day
of the week and twice on Sunday....

Dave R.
Wenatchee, WA