Re: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:03:10 -0500
This should clear it up. :)  My 5 speed had GL in it when I got it and had a
little problem with 1st to 2nd crunch.  I replaced it with MT90 and it still
has the same problem.  It also has the same problem from 3rd to 2nd and I
learned to double clutch it.  I did figure out the if I shifted above 4000
it was good to go plus it adds to the smile factor.

Mark
Nashville

It's a little perplexing...

On one hand the original Datsum manual specifies 80W-90 or even the heavier
140wt for higher temperatures as Mike indicated

But we observe that the notchy shift goes away as the tranny wams up.
This seems to imply that a overall thinner gear oil would be prefered,
such as the multi-weight 75w90 that is suggested by Rivergate and others.

It's contradictory, I mean that I would have thought  that a thicker gear
oil would
help the action of the sychros, but that appears not to be the case.

I'd like to believe that I could put in a API-GL4 lube and my notchy shift
would
magically disappear, but somehow I don't think that will happen.

Unless of course, someone else out there had a notchy shift and it went away
when they
swaped in Redline MT-90 or something similiar.
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/mark@nashvilletn.org

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100323-1, 03/23/2010
Tested on: 3/23/2010 7:56:43 PM

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html