Re: [Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question

To: corvallis@peoplepc.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question
From: James Lempe <oldtimealaskan@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
Helllo All,

Piston driven Aircraft engines are designed with a dual
ignition system (Twin Magnitios, and two spark plugs per cylinder).  The
ignition switch has positions that allow each of the magnitios and spark plug
banks to be checked out individually, (commonly known as left and right).
Before takeoff the engine is run up to about 1500RPM and the ignition switch
is turned to the left and right positions and the RPM drop is noted, normally
it should not be more that 50 to 100 RPM, (if the engine should quite on one
of the mag checks the pilot would never take off).  HOWEVER, the aircraft is
always run with the switch in the BOTH position, using both mags and both
plugs in each cylinder.

I don't know why Iridium plugs would be changed every
100 hours, I don't do that with normal plugs if they are in good shape.

Jim
Lempe,  FAA Certified Flight Instructor and A&P licensed mechanic.
 A penny
saved is a government oversite!