Re: [Spridgets] Another barn find... MGA

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Another barn find... MGA
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 18:35:17 -0500
I'm dedicated to getting this car back in running condition.  It's
complete, but needs a lot of attention for things like generator,
distributor, underhood hoses, water pump, maybe starter.  I did not
expect it to require internal engine work but it's going to need
something.  I pulled the head, mopped the water and other gunk off the
tops of the pistons, and I've hosed it down with PB Blaster several
times.  Still the pistons are stuck.

Here is my plan, you guys comment if I'm missing something:
1.  Pull the short block out of the car, leave the trans. in the car.
2.  Knock the pistons out individually from below.
3.  Evaluate the condition of the cylinder bores, but I'm expecting them
to be bad.
4a.  Bore the block and procure new pistons and rings.
4b.  Procure a new block or short block and separate pistons and rings.
5.  Reassemble.

I don't have a full time shop to work in (My dad's garage is 150 miles
away).  I'll have to either rent a hoist to pull the engine or jury-rig
something, which is why I've been hesitant to pull the engine up until
now.  But now I have to step up my game and get it going.