Re: [Spridgets] Another barn find... MGA

To: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Another barn find... MGA
From: CosmicMag1380 <cosmicmag1380@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 19:00:45 -0600
On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM, BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com> wrote:
Here is my plan, you guys comment if I'm missing something:
1.  Pull the short block out of the car, leave the trans. in the car.
2.  Knock the pistons out individually from below.
3.  Evaluate the condition of the cylinder bores, but I'm expecting
them to be bad.
4a.  Bore the block and procure new pistons and rings.
4b.  Procure a new block or short block and separate pistons and rings.
5.  Reassemble.

I don't have a full time shop to work in (My dad's garage is 150 miles
away).  I'll have to either rent a hoist to pull the engine or
jury-rig something, which is why I've been hesitant to pull the engine
up until now.  But now I have to step up my game and get it going.

Find a good running MGB engine and stick it in there. You can get them
cheap most anywhere that they rust!

Find an old swing set to use as an "A" frame and get a cheapo HF
come-a-long for $8. Lift the engine out with it... You don't need no
stinking hoist!

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye