Re: [Spridgets] axle or pinion problems?

To: "'David Riker'" <davriker@nwi.net>, "'CosmicMag1380'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] axle or pinion problems?
From: "Jim Seippel" <aseippel@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 23:05:01 -0500
You don't stick a drift into the pumpkin. You tap on the piece of broken
axle. I use a thin metal rod that goes through the spider gears and then
pushes out the broken piece. If you look through the stock differential, you
will see a shaft that goes through the spider gears. It is directly between
the gears the axles slide into. There is a space that a thin rod can
penetrate. If you get a long enough rod, you can tap out the broken axle
spline without pulling the differential. I found that a metal rod used to
support a floral display fits through the opening perfectly. It is perfect
to tap out the broken part. There is probably a similar rod available at
Lowes, but I haven't looked there. Once the broken spline is out of the
differential, a magnet will pull it out of the axle housing. I use one of
the orange extending magnet you can get at Sears or from one of the Tool
trucks. Amazon has a similar one. http://tinyurl.com/44j3bem
Jim