Re: [Spridgets] UPDATE axle or pinion problems?

To: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] UPDATE axle or pinion problems?
From: dwoerpel@wi.net
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:33:07 -0500 (CDT)
Those pics are classics Chris!  I'd pick up the one on eBay unless someone
has a pair closer to home.  Also, when I bought some axles for the MGA I
had them crack-tested.  There is/was a company on Watertown Road (not
Plank) just north of the Bluemound Perkins and across Barker Rd. from the
Elite Sports Club.  If it's not there call a machine shop to see who does
magna-fluxing.  No sense putting in a pre-cracked axle. ;-)

Dave W.

> Well, I hate to say it, but before you go to all that effort
> in rust removal...
>
> That spare is an early axle of the weaker kind.
>
> The later, stronger axles have a small grove cut near the tip of the
> splines.
>
> The axle is easy to change so you could opt to put what you have in for
> the
> near term, but I would keep your eyes peeled at the swap meets/ebay/etc..
> for a later axle.  Especially if you have a 1275.
>
> Here is one on ebay.  You can see the groove in his pictures.
> Ebay item 190566477150
> http://tinyurl.com/3cc324p
>
> $55 vs. Questionable and a day of rust removal?  Seems like a no-brainer
> me...

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive