Re: [Spridgets] UPDATE axle or pinion problems?

To: "Chris Manuel" <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] UPDATE axle or pinion problems?
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:48:12 +0100
Chris,
You don't drive it (what a pun!!) anywhere until you have the diff out and
can assess the situation.  However, if you are in a position where you can't
remove the diff the general principle is to drive it outwards to the wheels
as the end of the splines on the shaft should still be intact.
When the diff is out you can clean the crap from the bottom of the banjo,
all those other little metal bits will have found a home there.
Don 't forget the propshaft holds the rear oil seal in the g'box and you
need that in place to stop the g'box oil from splurging / dripping out.
I've never tried it - would a big loop of rope around the car hold the
driveshaft up more or less in place?

What else to so?  Oil the springs. Check for rust.  Check U.J.'s. Clean /
paint  the rear of the brake backplates and grease around the bleed nipples.
Grease the hand brake linkages.  Enjoy life.....

Guy R Day