Re: Horns, Headlights, Lenses

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Horns, Headlights, Lenses
From: NamasteRH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:42:19 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-13 00:00:12 EDT, I wrote:

>Anyway, I have a few questions for the group.
>
>1) My hooters have hooted their last hoot.  Anyone know where to get
>replacements (there's stuff that sounds like sand inside and I get 12V up at
>the horn mechanism - which I now have assembled, thanks to Chris Richards
and
>Frank Marrone - where I thought I was supposed to see ground);

I don't think I was altogether clear here about the 12V.

Obviously there should be a 12V potential between the plates at the horn
mechanism, but  I only get that 12V from the upper horn plate (connected to
the horn ring) and a chassis ground...my lower contact plate is not grounded.
 HOWEVER, I do not have continuity between the lugs on the horns themselves.
 SHOULD I?  It is a mystery to me how the 12V is reaching the horn ring plate
if there is an open circuit inside the horns (yes, I did check for a short in
the wiring to the horns).  I suspect that the connectors at the horns are
shorting out, since the insulating material seems pretty much shot, but I
cannot seem to duplicate the short with the horns out of the car.  At any
rate, I have a 12V wire and a horn ring wire leading to each horn, so good
horns ought to work (if I fix the ground at the horn mechanism).

I hope that makes my problem a little clearer.

Rick Hoefle