Fuel Fountain

To: tigers@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: Fuel Fountain
From: "Robert L. Reynolds" <rlr@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 17:57:34 -0400

I am getting ready to start my tiger 1a for the first time since I bought it
in boxes 5 years ago.  I tuned on the ignition and the fuel pump (stock)
started pumping fuel.  I wasn't long before their was fuel squirting out of
the top of the carb float bowl.  I took the top off the carb and tried the
ignition again.  The fuel came up out of the needle and seat like fountain.
If I pulled up on the float hard enough I could cut off the fuel, but the
pressure exerted by the float at high level doesn't seem like it will be
enough to stop the flow of fuel.

What is the probable cause?  Can the fuel pump put out too much pressure?
Do I have a needle and seat problem?  Anybody know how to diagnose the exact
cause?

        Bob Reynolds
        Connecticut