Re: Why me, Lord?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why me, Lord?
From: Doug Pruitt <Douglas.Pruitt@nist.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 08:44:48 -0400
At 02:54 PM 5/18/96 -0700, you wrote:
>My tiger came with a set of awful NASCAR-type hood hold-down pins. I
>removed them, and managed to find an original latch mechanism. I
>installed it, carefully (I thought) lining everything up. I gently
>lowered the hood, pushed down equally gently, but it wouldn't latch.
>
>That wouldn't be such a bad problem, except that it won't release,
>either. So, I'm left with a couple of questions:
>
>1. Has this happened to anybody else?

        Almost everyone who has ever taken the hood off has had this happen.
I don't know a really good way to unlatch the hood when this happens. I think
I used a coat hanger to pull the latch mechanism from under the back edge of
the hood. After you get it adjusted so that it works OK, drill a small hole
(1/8")
through the hinge into the hood. Then if you remove the hood again, use the
holes
to line up the hood with the hinges before you tighten the bolts. There must be
some good tricks for lining up the center pin if you loosen it but I don't know
what they are.

>2. Is my best options to drive the car until it runs out of oil in
>order to make it worthwhile cutting through the hood?

        I don't think so.

>3. What did I do to deserve this?

        You bought a British car.

>Joe