Holley Carb Questions

To: fordnatics@lists1.best.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Holley Carb Questions
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 13:51:41 -0700
My HiPo 289 originally had a 715cfm Holley 4-barrel (3259) on it which I
plan to reuse when I put the HiPo back in the Cobra.  This carburetor is
currently in pieces and while I have in apart, I was thinking about
making some improvements.  One change I'd like to make is to replace the
original nose (Le Mans?)  type float chambers.  These are center-pivot
but have to be removed to set the float level.  I'd like to use the type
that allow adjusting the float level externally.

I have another Holley (a 3310) with externally adjustable chambers.
These chambers look like they would bolt right on to my 3259, but I
don't know if they will work, and if they do, would the float level be
correct if set the same as for the carb they came off of?  Also I would
like to replace the original composition floats with brass since I've
had problems in the past with the composition type losing buoyancy after
a while.

When I says this carb is apart, I mean completely.  I even removed the
throttle shafts.  These shafts had what appear to be plastic seals on
them which were pretty well chewed up in the disassembly process.  I
assume replacements seals are available?  These are small rectangular
pieces that wrap around the shafts.  Or perhaps I can have them replaced
somewhere?

Finally.  Is there a good place in the South San Francisco Bay Area
for Holley parts and service?

Thanks,

Roland